Is this the best chocolate cake ever? It's definitely one of the most unusual, but the combination of potato and sour cream works their magic with the dark chocolate to create a gorgeous texture and taste. I've added this recipe to my permanent chocolate cake collection, and we think you might too!
- 1/2 cup cold mashed potato
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 125g butter, chopped
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125g dark chocolate, melted
- 1 and 1/4 cups self raising flour
- cocoa powder for dusting
- cream and berries to serve
- Grease a 20cm ring pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- Combine potato and sour cream in a small bowl; mix well.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add cooled chocolate; beat until combined.
- Fold potato mixture and sifted flour into chocolate mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven, 180 degrees celsius, for about 45 mins, or until cooked when tested. Stand cake in pan for 5 mins; turn onto wire rack and cool.
- Dust cake with cocoa powder; serve with cream and berries.
Let us know what you think!